5.10.2012

10 Maine Points about Friendship

Happy Thursday!

Currently typing this up in Portland, Maine and while waiting for my cup of tea - - I thought I would take some time today and share with you my thoughts regarding: Friendship. 

It's rare, beautiful, and hard to find the real deal sometimes. 

Are you the type of person who carries a large abundance of semi-close friends? Or do you only have a few best friends? Maybe even both? Personally, I have a lot of friends in various layers. It's like an onion broken down into different layers of closeness. The closer it gets to the core of the onion, the smaller it gets. The outside layer could be equivalent to my acquaintances and so, the deeper we go into the middle of that onion - the closer that person(s) may be in my heart.

As of today, I have been on the road for 128 days, and away from some of the most cherished people in my life. When you're traveling for that long and especially all by yourself, it gets really tough emotionally. You start to trip yourself out with thoughts like, 'Do they even miss me back at home?', 'Out of all of my friends, who are the real ones?', and 'Who are the ones that have always stuck by my side through thick and thin?' I do apologize if this post has a somewhat melancholic feel - - I truly do not mean it to be. My point is, true friendship is hard to find. Sometimes, I even feel like it's more rare than finding true love. So, what makes a damn good friend to me?

1. No matter where you are and how long it's been since you last talked, you can easily pick up where you last left off.
2. You inspire one another while looking out for each others' best interest.
3. You listen to each others' thoughts, feelings, dreams.
4. You support each others' thoughts, feelings, dreams.
5. If the answer is 'Things are fine..' from the question 'How are you?' - - it concerns you.
6. You're happy when they're happy.
7. If that dress doesn't look good on you, a real friend will tell you and suggest another option.
8. A true friend will know every little thing about you, and never judge or criticize.
9. Real friends match their actions and their words.
10. You will be there for him/her even if it's not convenient for you. 

I am here visiting a close friend that I have not seen in almost a year. She's one of those rare gems that I consider ambitious and inspirational to others. Why? She never made excuses for the things she wanted to change in her life while transforming those ideas into a reality. Now, she is happier than ever and I've never seen her so radiant. Below are some pictures of her cute place in Maine. Now that it stopped raining, I might have to find myself a good bowl of New England Clam Chowder, take a stroll by the waters, and inhale the fresh clean air over here.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sources: CS Lewis quote 1, CS Lewis quote 2, Last Quote

4 comments:

  1. beautiful!!! and very soulfully put into words. yes, to find a good friend is much harder than finding true love. i can say so much about it right now but am sure u already know. love this post and it might sound weird to u but i guess i love u too. ur like that sweet aunt living far away but still in touch. as i said previously, keep posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!! Good friends are rare and super special :) You are so sweet, love you too and these posts - - there will be more to come!

      Delete
  2. "No matter where you are and how long it's been since you last talked, you can easily pick up where you last left off"
    Very true! Wish everyone could understand this.
    Good stuff you write, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish so too..But as long as we incorporate that into our own lives - we can inspire others to understand as well. Thank you - I try ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...